Pages

Friday, February 5, 2010

I cannot sew!

Yes. It's true. I cannot sew. I am needle challenged.
And what's more interesting, is that I am the daughter of a seamstress and a sewing machine repair man! My mother can sew anything, and in any form of needle craft there is. She can make clothing from patterns, and probably without, knit, crochet, cross stitch, needle point, the list goes on and on. When my parents met long ago, she was working at a coat and clothing manufacturer, while my father was the head machine repair man. She would purposely do things to her sewing machine so that Dad would have to come and fix it! So funny! After they started dating, Dad got a job managing a mattress factory, fixing huge quilting machines that stitch the pillow tops we all know and love.
My mom must have been in needle craft heaven after I was born, because I remember that she would make a lot of my clothes. Boy did I hate it! I was the only girl at that time, between two brothers, and I was a really big tom-boy! I wanted to do everything my brothers did. So when Mom would make me wear handmade dresses or plaid pants with knitted sweaters and saddle shoes, I protested! I'd have rather worn my brother's hand-me-downs! I REALLY hated picture day at school too. She would make me wear rollers in my hair all night. You remember those prickly and stiff ones held in place with bobby pins? You just cannot sleep while they are digging into your scalp!
Looking back, I have to say that those clothes were pretty cute, but you do not realize what a good thing you had until you are old enough to look back! LOL!
I do remember my mother trying to teach me to crochet, just the simple loop around the finger chain. And I made a few very small blankets for my dolls, and some very short scarfs. But I just did not take to it, and I think my mom gave up and let me go play outside!
~
Boy, do I wish I had paid attention now! Sewing on cards is a must, and it looks so pretty. But every time I approach my sewing machine with a piece of gorgeous cardstock, or a stamped and water colored image, I get sweaty palms and heart palpitations!! You'd think I was about to give a speech in front of 1,000 people! It is so scary to me! So I have to take a deep breath, and wipe my hands, and just do it. Slowly. Very carefully. And, I must say that I am getting better at it. One card at a time. Just don't ask me to sew a busted seam, or patch a worn knee. That's my husbands job!



Stamps: Echoes of Kindness, SU
Papers: Razzleberry, Orchid, Whisper White cardstocks; Cottage Wall dsp, SU
Inks: Old Olive, Razzleberry, Orchid
Etc: Razzleberry ribbon, Scallop Trim border and ticket corner punches, buttons, and SEWING!
~
Thanks for putting up with me!
~
Sherrie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are so appreciated!